Chief Rabbi Lord Sacks delivers this week’s Covenant & Conversation – Behukotai 5771
There is one aspect of Christianity that Jews, if we are to be honest, must reject, and that Christians, most notably Pope John XXIII, have begun to reject. It is the concept of rejection itself, the idea that Christianity represents G-d’s rejection of the Jewish people, the “old Israel”.
This is known technically as Supersession or Replacement Theology, and it is enshrined in such phrases as the Christian name for the Hebrew Bible, “The Old Testament.” The Old Testament means the testament, or covenant, once in force but no longer. On this view, G-d no longer wants us to serve Him the Jewish way, through the 613 commandments, but a new way, through a New Testament. His old chosen people were the physical descendants of Abraham. His new chosen people are the spiritual descendants of Abraham, in other words, not Jews but Christians.
More from this series:
- Parshat Behar: Sustainable Farming in the Torah
- Behar 5771 – Covenant & Conversation
- Bechukotai 5771 – Covenant & Conversation
- Rabbi Machlis: Haftarah of Parshat Behar 5772
- Rabbi Yitzchak Breitowitz – Weekly Torah Portion: Bechukotai – The Uniqueness of Torah Study
- Rosner’s Weekly Torah Talk: Parashat Behar with Rabbi Tuvia Brander
- Ari Goldwag – Behar – Sharing the Wealth
- Stop Worrying and Start Living – Rabbi Yitzchak Dwek
- [#812] Behar Bechukosai: Lag Baomer on 🔥
- Duty with Purpose (Parashat Behar-Bechukotai)
- The Story Behind a Curse – Parsha Emor – By Rabbi YY Jacobson
- Planting Seeds: Changing Ourselves and the World – Rabbi Brander on Behar-Bechukotai