In today’s episode, I explored whether the idea of jealousy has gotten a bad rap or not. Turns out, envy (when properly directed) may actually be a great way to motivate us to push forward. While I may not be the most avid gym enthusiast, I learned to channel my jealousy of Muscle Mike into motivation to get back into fitness and improve myself.
00:00 Who is Muscle Mike?
01:10 What happened when I started hanging out with Muscle Mike
01:25 Does envy fuel action?
01:38 The Tenth Commandment
02:05 Mixed messages about jealousy in the Talmud
02:40 A metaphor in the Midrash about envy
04:06 Bad envy: setting an impossible standard – comparison with others
05:20 Good envy: being inspired by others’ successes
05:57 The nuanced meaning of the Tenth Commandment
06:16 Be inspired to be your best SELF
Subscribe and turn on your notifications so you don’t miss future uploads!
Lauren & Ezra Kest
Charles Crane Family Foundation
In loving memory of Ezriel ben David z”l
This video was co-produced by The Aseret Movement and OpenDor Media. The Aseret Movement is devoted to introducing and teaching people, regardless of affiliation, to the Ten Commandments as a simple and profound way to live a meaningful life. For more information go to https://www.aseretglobal.org/
Instagram — https://www.instagram.com/theaseretmovement/
Facebook — https://www.facebook.com/Aseretmovement
In Partnership with UnitEd, an initiative of the Ministry of Diaspora Affairs
About Big Jewish Ideas: If you’ve ever asked yourself about the who’s, what’s, when’s, where’s, why’s and how’s of Judaism, you’re going to want to stick around. Join us as we unpack the Jewish questions on your mind and some you didn’t even know you needed answers to.
Big Jewish Ideas is produced by the Unpacked team. Visit Unpacked at https://jewishunpacked.com/
#jewish #selfhelp #vlog
More from this series:
- Resisting the Allure of the Mystery Box | Intro | The Ten Commandments
- Does Jealousy Get a Bad Rap? | #10: Do Not Covet | The Ten Commandments
- Is Lying Always a Bad Thing? | #9: Do Not Testify Falsely | The Ten Commandments
- Can Manipulation Be a Good Thing? | #8: Do Not Steal | The Ten Commandments
- Why Too Much Choice Is A Bad Thing | #7 Do Not Commit Adultery | The Ten Commandments
- How to Make Your Life Longer | Commandment #6: Do Not Murder | The Ten Commandments
- How to Create Mindfulness in Your Life | Commandment #4: Shabbat | The Ten Commandments
- What Makes An Object Holy? | Commandment #3: Do Not Take G-d’s Name in Vain | The Ten Commandments
- How To Transcend the Ego | Commandment #2: You Shall Have No Other Gods | The Ten Commandments
- The Illusion of Control | Commandment #1: I Am the Lord Your God | The Ten Commandments