3/12 | In the third video of this mini-series, Israel pursues a diplomatic solution to the tensions with Egypt, but Egypt imposes a naval blockade on Israel. And that’s an act of war. The world waits to see what will happen next. See all the videos as they are released: http://www.sixdaywarproject.org/. By late May, Egyptian President Nasser’s deployment of tens of thousands of troops in the buffer zone along Israel’s border was an unambiguous threat to Israel. Israeli Prime Minister Levi Eshkol responded cautiously that Israel would not initiate hostilities as long as Egypt refrained from closing the international waterway leading to Israel’s southern port – the Straits of Tiran. Such an act would cut off Israel’s supply of oil and other vital resources, by blocking Israeli access to the Gulf of Aqaba and Asia. On May 23rd, President Nasser gave his answer by blockading the straits. This action violated UN Security Council Resolution 118, was condemned by US President Lyndon Johnson, and constituted an act of war in international law. Nonetheless, Israel did not take immediate military action, continuing to attempt a resolution through diplomatic channels. But Israel’s enemies would not be moved by diplomacy alone. As five other Arab countries deployed their troops toward Israel, Nasser told the public: “We knew that closing the Gulf of Aqaba meant war with Israel… If war comes it will be total and the objective will be Israel’s destruction…” Tensions were mounting. It seemed that Israel was headed for a war for its very existence. Like the Six Day War Project on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sixdaywarproject This video was produced by Jerusalem U in partnership with The Jerusalem Post, the Jewish Federations of North America, the Jewish Council for Public Affairs, the Jewish National Fund, the Israel Action Network, the European Jewish Congress and the Center for Israel Education. For more on the dramatic events and impact of the Six Day War, visit sixdaywarproject.org. Subtitles in English, Hebrew and Chinese. Thumbnail Photo Credit: GPO Israel/Yaacov Agor ———–
More from this series
More from this category:
- This classic El Al commercial from 1985 is the best thing you’ll watch all day.
- Original Recording of the Official Declaration of Israel`s Establishment
- This Israeli tourism video from 1966 is amazing!
- Jan 15 in Jewish History: IDF Earthquake Relief Efforts in Haiti
- New Show: Lesson in Israeli History – Episode 1: 1860-1919
- The History of Israel Explained
- David Ben Gurion – Israel`s First Prime Minister
- The Women of Zionism
- Remembering Yitzhak Rabin: 24 Years Since the Assassination
- 24 years since Israeli PM Yitzchak Rabin’s assassination. Here’s Bill Clinton’s eulogy honoring his memory