2/12 | The second video of this mini-series sets the stage for war, as Egyptian President Nasser makes aggressive moves, amassing tens of thousands of troops along Israel’s border, and ordering the UN peacekeeping force to leave. Watch their astonishing response. See all the videos as they are released: http://www.sixdaywarproject.org/. In mid-May 1967, Arab hostility toward Israel was about to take a dramatic turn for the worse. On May 14, Egyptian President Gamal Abdel Nasser began moving troops and military equipment into the demilitarized zone in the Sinai Peninsula between Israel and Egypt. Nasser’s move was fueled, in part, by misinformation he had received from the Soviet Union – Egypt’s ally and sponsor – claiming that Israel was on the verge of invading Syria. However, though Nasser learned these reports were false just a day later, he continued moving tens of thousands of troops and hundreds of tanks toward the Israeli border. On May 16th, goaded on by other Arab countries and Egyptian public opinion, Nasser ordered the immediate evacuation of all UN troops and termination of the UN presence on the Egyptian-Israeli border. The UN complied, leaving the buffer zone under total Egyptian control. Israel now lay exposed on its southern border, as Egypt continued amassing its troops in the Sinai. By the end of the week, Egypt had placed 80,000 troops, 550 tanks, and 1,000 artillery pieces on the Israeli border. Like the Six Day War Project on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sixdaywarproject This video was produced by Jerusalem U in partnership with The Jerusalem Post, the Jewish Federations of North America, the Jewish Council for Public Affairs, the Jewish National Fund, the Israel Action Network, the European Jewish Congress and the Center for Israel Education. For more on the dramatic events and impact of the Six Day War, visit sixdaywarproject.org. Subtitles in English, Hebrew and Chinese. Thumbnail Photo Credit: United Nations Photo ———–
More from this series
More from this category:
- This classic El Al commercial from 1985 is the best thing you’ll watch all day.
- Original Recording of the Official Declaration of Israel`s Establishment
- This Israeli tourism video from 1966 is amazing!
- Jan 15 in Jewish History: IDF Earthquake Relief Efforts in Haiti
- New Show: Lesson in Israeli History – Episode 1: 1860-1919
- The History of Israel Explained
- David Ben Gurion – Israel`s First Prime Minister
- The Women of Zionism
- Remembering Yitzhak Rabin: 24 Years Since the Assassination
- 24 years since Israeli PM Yitzchak Rabin’s assassination. Here’s Bill Clinton’s eulogy honoring his memory