Living in a society driven by relentless productivity can be draining, and we often find ourselves prioritizing ‘doing’ instead of taking the time to consider the purpose behind our actions. In this episode, I explore the concept of Shabbat, the Sabbath, and its profound potential to serve as an “oasis in time” dedicated to simply ‘being.’
00:00 What does “Muktzeh” mean?
00:34 Do mindfulness apps work?
02:42 A time to pause and “just be”
03:25 The 7-day cycle is unnatural
04:19 How to combat the obsession with “doing”
04:38 Being mindful of the purpose behind our actions
06:34 Taking a break from manipulating the world
07:00 Freezing reality is in time
Subscribe and turn on your notifications so you don’t miss future uploads!
Lauren & Ezra Kest
Charles Crane Family Foundation
In loving memory of Ezriel ben David z”l
Stern and Gantz Families
This video was co-produced by The Aseret Movement and OpenDor Media. The Aseret Movement is devoted to introducing and teaching people, regardless of affiliation, to the Ten Commandments as a simple and profound way to live a meaningful life. For more information go to https://www.aseretglobal.org/
Instagram — https://www.instagram.com/theaseretmovement/
Facebook — https://www.facebook.com/Aseretmovement
In Partnership with UnitEd, an initiative of the Ministry of Diaspora Affairs
About Big Jewish Ideas: If you’ve ever asked yourself about the who’s, what’s, when’s, where’s, why’s and how’s of Judaism, you’re going to want to stick around. Join us as we unpack the Jewish questions on your mind and some you didn’t even know you needed answers to.
Big Jewish Ideas is produced by the Unpacked team. Visit Unpacked at https://jewishunpacked.com/
#vlog #selfhelp #mindfulness
More from this series:
- Resisting the Allure of the Mystery Box | Intro | The Ten Commandments
- Does Jealousy Get a Bad Rap? | #10: Do Not Covet | The Ten Commandments
- Is Lying Always a Bad Thing? | #9: Do Not Testify Falsely | The Ten Commandments
- Can Manipulation Be a Good Thing? | #8: Do Not Steal | The Ten Commandments
- Why Too Much Choice Is A Bad Thing | #7 Do Not Commit Adultery | The Ten Commandments
- How to Make Your Life Longer | Commandment #6: Do Not Murder | The Ten Commandments
- How to Create Mindfulness in Your Life | Commandment #4: Shabbat | The Ten Commandments
- What Makes An Object Holy? | Commandment #3: Do Not Take G-d’s Name in Vain | The Ten Commandments
- How To Transcend the Ego | Commandment #2: You Shall Have No Other Gods | The Ten Commandments
- The Illusion of Control | Commandment #1: I Am the Lord Your God | The Ten Commandments