How do we make the second Commandment, “You shall have no other gods,” relevant in an age when the practice of idolatry is largely obsolete? In this episode, I seek to challenge our understanding of what truly counts as “idol worship” in today’s society. There is a fine line between sincere worship of God and ego-driven ritual, and only by reflecting on our ego’s worship of Self can we achieve true spiritual fulfillment and transcendence based on the worship of God alone.
00:00 What is the Spotlight Effect?
01:17 What is the 2nd Commandment?
02:05 How is idolatry relevant today?
02:43 The worship of the Self, the I, the Me
06:35 It’s all about the Ego
08:08 Consider why we do what we do
08:18 Spirituality as a refuge from ego
Subscribe and turn on your notifications so you don’t miss future uploads!
Lauren & Ezra Kest
Charles Crane Family Foundation
In loving memory of Ezriel ben David z”l
This video was co-produced by The Aseret Movement and OpenDor Media. The Aseret Movement is devoted to introducing and teaching people, regardless of affiliation, to the Ten Commandments as a simple and profound way to live a meaningful life. For more information go to https://www.aseretglobal.org/
Instagram — https://www.instagram.com/theaseretmovement/
Facebook — https://www.facebook.com/Aseretmovement
In Partnership with UnitEd, an initiative of the Ministry of Diaspora Affairs
About Big Jewish Ideas: If you’ve ever asked yourself about the who’s, what’s, when’s, where’s, why’s and how’s of Judaism, you’re going to want to stick around. Join us as we unpack the Jewish questions on your mind and some you didn’t even know you needed answers to.
Big Jewish Ideas is produced by the Unpacked team. Visit Unpacked at https://jewishunpacked.com/
#vlog #selfhelp #worship
More from this series:
- Resisting the Allure of the Mystery Box | Intro | The Ten Commandments
- Does Jealousy Get a Bad Rap? | #10: Do Not Covet | The Ten Commandments
- Is Lying Always a Bad Thing? | #9: Do Not Testify Falsely | The Ten Commandments
- Can Manipulation Be a Good Thing? | #8: Do Not Steal | The Ten Commandments
- Why Too Much Choice Is A Bad Thing | #7 Do Not Commit Adultery | The Ten Commandments
- How to Make Your Life Longer | Commandment #6: Do Not Murder | The Ten Commandments
- How to Create Mindfulness in Your Life | Commandment #4: Shabbat | The Ten Commandments
- What Makes An Object Holy? | Commandment #3: Do Not Take G-d’s Name in Vain | The Ten Commandments
- How To Transcend the Ego | Commandment #2: You Shall Have No Other Gods | The Ten Commandments
- The Illusion of Control | Commandment #1: I Am the Lord Your God | The Ten Commandments