Parsha in 60 Seconds Presents Vayeira
Shalom and welcome to the Parsha in 60 seconds
Today’s portion is from Genesis 18:1–22:24 it is called Vayeira which means “and He appeared,”
Abraham meets God with two angels. The Lord said Sarah would have a son, Sarah LOLed.
God told Abraham about destroying Sodom and Gomorrah. Abraham asked if God would kill the innocent. God said He would not destroy the cities if there were 10 righteous people.
Meanwhile, Lot was at the gate of Sodom the two angels arrived. While they were at Lot’s house all the men of Sodom gathered and demanded the men be sent out. Lot offered his two virgin daughters. This caused a riot. The Angels took lot and his Family out of the city. The family was instructed not to look back but Lot’s wife disobeyed and into a pillar of salt. Lot’s daughters wanted to have children and devised a plan to get Lot drunk and sleep with him. They succeeded and had sons.
Abraham settled Gerar and tired to pull the same stunt he pulled in Egypt, but God warned King Abimelech he gave Sarah back.
Isaac was born and was circumcised eight days later. After he was weaned, Abraham sent Hagar and Ishmael away.
Abraham made an oath with Abimelech not to mess with him. God tested Abraham, directing him to offer Isaac as a burnt offering. As Abramaham raised the knife to kill Isaac an angel stopped Abraham. God provided a ram, so he offered it as a burnt offering in place of his son. Abraham passed the test and was blessed
And that is Vayeira in 60 seconds.
Subscribe today and become a fan
2 Kings 4:1-23
More from this series
More from this category:
- Rabbi Shlomo Riskin`s Commentary on Parshat Pinchas — “Torah Lights” 5780
- “The Voices of a Just Cause: Modern-Day Daughters of Tzelofchad” – Rabbi Kenneth Brander
- “When the Tents of Jacob Aren`t Beautiful: Fighting Domestic Abuse” – Rabbi Brander on Balak
- Rabbi Shlomo Riskin speaks about Parshat Balak — “Torah Lights” 5780
- Rabbi Shlomo Riskin speaks about Parshat Chukat — “Torah Lights” 5780
- Parshat Korach: “Lifting Every Voice: Leadership in a Time of Unrest” – Rabbi Kenneth Brander
- Rabbi Shlomo Riskin on Parshat Korach — “Torah Lights” 5780
- Planting Seeds: Changing Ourselves and the World – Rabbi Brander on Behar-Bechukotai
- A Dvar Torah by Rabbi Sacks on Vayikra and the Coronavirus Pandemic
- A D`var Torah by Rabbi Sacks on Vayakhel-Pekudei in the age of the coronavirus pandemic