The World Jewish Congress is proud to announce the launch of our fourth annual #WeRemember Campaign for International Holocaust Remembrance Day on January 27, 2020. This year’s campaign comes at a particularly important time – antisemitism is on the rise, and levels of knowledge about the Holocaust are on the decline. For instance, 66% of American adults don’t know what Auschwitz was, and 45% of adults cannot name one concentration camp or ghetto. This represents a shocking lack of knowledge.
This problem is only likely to become worse. With each passing year, the number of Holocaust survivors left to bear witness diminishes. Within a few decades no survivors will remain. It’s up to all of us to help preserve their memory and honor those who perished.
To address this issue, the focus of this year’s #WeRemember campaign will be on Holocaust education. Education is critical in the fight against ignorance and misinformation — specifically Holocaust denial and distortion. Through www.AboutHolocaust.org, a comprehensive new online resource created by the World Jewish Congress in partnership with UNESCO, we plan on sharing indisputable facts about the Holocaust with those around the world who need to hear it.
Past campaign participants have included organizations, elected officials, celebrities, and religious leaders from around the world, such as Pope Francis, United Nations Secretary General Antonio Guterres, UNESCO, Chelsea Football Club, Borussia Dortmund, Robert Kraft, actress Gal Gadot, British PM Boris Johnson, Israeli President Reuven Rivlin, and many more.
Please reach out to any member of WJC staff or contact [email protected] should you wish to get involved or have any questions. To learn more about the campaign, please visit wjc.org/weremember.
More from this series
More from this category:
- Above and Beyond – the incredible heroic Holocaust documentary
- The Anne Frank video diary
- Let me be myself – Anne Frank video diary – Episode #12
- Longing for freedom – Anne Frank video diary – Episode #11
- Only criticism – Anne Frank video diary – Episode #10
- D-Day! – Anne Frank video diary – Episode #9
- I’m suffocating – Anne Frank video diary – Episode #8
- Hatred of the Jews – Anne Frank video diary – Episode #7
- Quarrelling with dad – Anne Frank video diary – Episode #6
- Happiness – Anne Frank video diary – Episode #5