Have you ever caught yourself saying “Oh my gosh” instead of using the actual word “God”? We might do this without thinking, but this habit actually traces back to the third commandment, “Lo tisa,” “Do not take the name of your Lord in vain.” In this episode, I dive into the implications of this commandment to uncover how we, as individuals, have the power to infuse the mundane with the sacred.
00:00 What is a “minced oath”?
00:46 The 3rd Commandment, Do Not Take G-d’s Name in Vain
01:20 Internet outage
03:12 What is “civilized society”, really?
03:50 Reality is flimsy
05:03 Sacred objects are not sacred in and of themselves
05:53 Perception is reality
06:36 We have the power to make things sacred
Subscribe and turn on your notifications so you don’t miss future uploads!
Lauren & Ezra Kest
Charles Crane Family Foundation
In loving memory of Ezriel ben David z”l
This video was co-produced by The Aseret Movement and OpenDor Media. The Aseret Movement is devoted to introducing and teaching people, regardless of affiliation, to the Ten Commandments as a simple and profound way to live a meaningful life. For more information go to https://www.aseretglobal.org/
Instagram — https://www.instagram.com/theaseretmovement/
Facebook — https://www.facebook.com/Aseretmovement
In Partnership with UnitEd, an initiative of the Ministry of Diaspora Affairs
About Big Jewish Ideas: If you’ve ever asked yourself about the who’s, what’s, when’s, where’s, why’s and how’s of Judaism, you’re going to want to stick around. Join us as we unpack the Jewish questions on your mind and some you didn’t even know you needed answers to.
Big Jewish Ideas is produced by the Unpacked team. Visit Unpacked at https://jewishunpacked.com/
#vlog #selfhelp #mindfulness
More from this series:
- Resisting the Allure of the Mystery Box | Intro | The Ten Commandments
- Does Jealousy Get a Bad Rap? | #10: Do Not Covet | The Ten Commandments
- Is Lying Always a Bad Thing? | #9: Do Not Testify Falsely | The Ten Commandments
- Can Manipulation Be a Good Thing? | #8: Do Not Steal | The Ten Commandments
- Why Too Much Choice Is A Bad Thing | #7 Do Not Commit Adultery | The Ten Commandments
- How to Make Your Life Longer | Commandment #6: Do Not Murder | The Ten Commandments
- How to Create Mindfulness in Your Life | Commandment #4: Shabbat | The Ten Commandments
- What Makes An Object Holy? | Commandment #3: Do Not Take G-d’s Name in Vain | The Ten Commandments
- How To Transcend the Ego | Commandment #2: You Shall Have No Other Gods | The Ten Commandments
- The Illusion of Control | Commandment #1: I Am the Lord Your God | The Ten Commandments